Thursday, September 11, 2008

 

Don't Question Malay Rights

Lately, there have been hot issues raised over the social contract and Malay rights. As usual, the non-Malays are told not to question those rights which the Malays will supposedly defend at all cost.

Actually, I think the government has brainwashed me quite successfully in this aspect. I'm not supposed to question Malay rights even when the people who benefit the most from it are a select and corrupt few. I'm not supposed to question Malay rights even when it has become a tool that is conveniently used to divide and rule. I'm not supposed to question Malay rights even when politicians use it to further their own personal agenda and line their own pockets.

I'm not supposed to question Malay rights even when my Malay ex-boss who earned a few thousand more than me can get a 7% discount when he bought a double-storey house. I'm not supposed to question Malay rights even when Malay students much smarter and in a better class than me still had an easier entry into local universities. I'm not supposed to question Malay rights even when those Malay students chauffered-driven to school still qualify for government study loans.

I'm not supposed to question Malay rights even when there are still many, many poor Malays who cannot afford to buy their children a pair of school shoes. I'm not supposed to question Malay rights even when I still get to see two poor Malay kids hugging their father tightly on a motorbike ride to school. I'm not supposed to question Malay rights even when I see such misallocation of resources. I'm not supposed to question Malay rights even when the Malays that need it the most are not the ones that are getting the most out of those rights.

The list can be longer but you get my point. Yes, I know I cannot question Malay rights. I should not. It has been ingrained in me not to. Whether it has been misused, abused or whatever, it is not supposed to be my problem. Even if there are still so many poor Malays after so many years of these rights, is also not my problem.

If we don't question, don't debate, we can't improve. But then again, it is not my problem because I'm not supposed to say anything about Malay rights. Let it be that the rich-poor divide among the Malays are getting increasingly obvious, all in the name of Malay rights. Let it be that our university rankings are sliding, all in the name of Malay rights. Let it be that the country is losing its competitiveness, all in the name of Malay rights. It is my "duty" to remain silent.

Labels:


Comments:
Every year when I go back to my parent in law kampung, I tried to help them as much as I could because I feel that it is my duty and my responsibility. They, of course depend on UMNO to help them but everytime, this UMNO let them down. Malay rights ? You think these UMNO defend malay right ? what rights are they defending ? What rights are they talking about ? Will these UMNO come and help them to fix the leaking roof in the house? Will these UMNO pay them salary if they cannot work in the rubber plantation during the monsoon season ? NO.. All I heard from them are complaints one after another. They're not looking for subsidies but a better living conditions in the kampung. That's why every year for the past 10 years, when I'd a chance to go back to kampung for my holiday, I would help them as much as I could in term of financial and finding a way so they could make a living without depend so much on the rubber plantation, UMNO and bendang. Why I like to help them ?After all, they're my family and they never for once think of me as a KAUM PENDATANG or single me out as a chinese. To cut the story short, the whole kampung would welcome me as one bangsa malaysia every year. So, all these labelling of kaum pendatang lar, hak melayu should not be question, melayu tak akan hilang didunia ler blah blah blah is just issue highlighted by those who have their own agenda which is normally power and money, and of course contracts.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]