Saturday, September 6, 2008

 

Descendent Of An Immigrant

After reading about the "squatter" story and many comments on this topic, I'm reminded of the following:
  1. I'm a descendent of a pendatang and this is a historical fact. That other people's forefathers are also pendatang is a non-issue and irrelevant because they happened to come much earlier.
  2. Because I'm a descendent of a pendatang, I should honor a social contract agreed to by my forefathers and thankful that they were granted citizenships.
  3. Because I'm a descendent of a pendatang, I should also never question Malay rights nor ask for equality.
  4. I should be eternally grateful for being given the right of abode and the opportunity to make a living.
  5. I should never ever ask for more because I have been given a lot such as freedom to practice my culture and religion.

My question:

If my grandfather owed this land and her people a debt for being granted citizenship more than half a century ago, how many generations of his descendents would it take before this debt would be fully repaid and we are no longer known as kaum pendatang but share equal rights?

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]