Wednesday, September 12, 2007

 

Migration - Is it for the Better?

During my free time, I always like to scan the letters section of Malaysiakini to get readers' perspectives of current issues. One of the letters that I can still remember quite clearly touched on the issue of migration with the author encouraging Malaysians to emigrate for a supposedly better future.

While I admire the author for his courage to issue forth such a call, it has always been difficult for me to give the same advice, although I myself am currently residing abroad. Let me tell you why.

I have been away for about 7 years now but no matter how hard I try, my country of residence can never be called home. It is just not the same because the environment is different, the culture is different and the people is different. Yes, I can adapt but the longing that I feel for KL cannot be erased. In fact, I have met many Malaysians abroad and they share the same feelings as I do.

Sentiments aside, lets look at practicality. Malaysia today may seemed to be heading towards pariah nation status to many but no one can foretell the future. Why do I say so? Well, prior to 1997, Hong Kongers were also migrating in droves, especially after the Tianamen incident. The mood was pessimistic and few Hong Kongers were looking forward to the eventual return to China. 10 years on after 1997, Hong Kongers were happily celebrating the 10th anniversary of the reunion and the mood has taken a complete turn for the better. The lesson being we can never tell what the future would be at wherever we may be.

Anyway, at the end of the day, migration is a very personal choice and I am not going to encourage nor discourage you to do so. As with any major decisions, you will just have to weigh the pro and cons and consider the sacrifices that have to be made should you decide to pursue one over the other.

Labels:


Comments:
I lived in the US for 10 years and HK for 1 year before coming back to Malaysia. Its a decision I regret. My need for personal liberty far outweighs my need for 'Malaysian' things like roti canai, teh tarik and yong tau foo. Yes I miss home sometimes when I was abroad but only for my parents. You are right - in the end its a personal choice. Mine is driven by my need to be at peace with my beliefs and the confidence to be what I want to be. I was never driven by the sentimental need to immerse in the sights, sounds and tastes of Malaysia.
 
Migration not better but defintely wiser!
 
I have worked and lived in Australia, UAE and France over the last 12 years. Migrating has never crossed my mind..Despite the political issues and all..I can never imagine calling myself other than A MALAYSIAN !!!
 
I've live for more than 10 years abroad in various countries from Canada to the US, to UK and NZ. However, wherever I am, I still feel Malaysian and I love my country. Although many a time I feel that a world without politicians would be a much safer and more peaceful world. Malaysia is not the only country with political problems. Every country has it's own but hope springs eternal that one day... things will get better.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]